Friday, February 5, 2010

Homemade Bread






Rose from Washington emailed me today asking if I had artisan bread recipes to share.  I do not.  I make my bread with a bread machine and have not taken on artisan bread yet.

I was feeling kind of bad that I could not provide Rose what she asked for.  I told her my neighbor, Maggie, is the bread baker in the area and I am glad I live next door to her.


I went next door on my daily visit and her house smelled just like fresh bread!  She had made some whole wheat bread and had even made a special one for me in a glass bowl!  What a great surprise!  Everyone should have such good neighbors.  I will enjoy it with my homemade beef barley soup tonight.  Don't know if you can see it in this picture but she baked my loaf in a Pyrex round baking dish.  What a nice way to bake a small loaf to giveaway!  Hint hint to all my friends!

P.S. I had the bread with my soup and it was perfect.  It is a dark break that is sweet.  She had melted butter on the top which really made it more yummy.  I would say it is the best homemade bread I have ever eaten and I hope she keeps me on her friend list forever and ever.  The soup came out well too.  I had some leftover beef pot roast cooked in the slow cooker with onions, red potatoes and carrots that had made a tasty gravy.  I added some water, garlic, worchestershire sauce and cooked barley.  What a great way to use up leftovers, stretch a meal and involve grains.

No comments: