Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pantry Eating Challenge Day 2

Picture will be posted after dinner this evening!

The challenge is to eat only from the pantry for the month of January.

Day Two  This will be an easy day as well because there are so many leftovers in the refrigerator.  I have two people joining me for dinner and both of them do not know I am involved in the challenge.

For breakfast I had buttered toast and coffee.  Just was not hungry and when I am not hungry I honor the urge to eat just for the sake of eating. I know a well rounded breakfast sets your day off right....but.

Lunch was a sliced apple with some peanut butter and a cup of tea.  Still not hungry.

For dinner I am planning on having leftover roast beef, roasted yukon gold potatoes, leftover brussel sprouts and salad. I am going to make popovers to go with dinner.  I invested in a deeper muffin pan recently and want to try it out.  For dessert we will have ice cream and chocolate sauce and that should finish up both of those demons in my refrigerator!  They talk to me you know?  I hear them calling until they are safely gone.

I have to use up the loaf of store bought bread that was in the refrigerator and some english muffins then I will begin to bake bread and muffins from scratch.  I think I should begin a list of the groceries I use daily as a record.  I won't bore you with the list.  Maybe I will just begin an Excel list and document there.  Might be interesting to examine at the end of the month.   I will also keep track of how many people eat each meal as Mom often dines with me or I invite a friend over.

Easy Popovers from Betty Crocker recipe


2 eggs

1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 450ºF. Generously grease 6-cup popover pan or six 6-ounce custard cups.

2. Beat eggs slightly in medium bowl. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth (do not overbeat). Fill cups about 1/2 full.
3. Bake 20 minutes.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Bake about 20 minutes longer or until deep golden brown. Immediately remove from cups. Serve hot.



They turned out fine and dandy and very easy to do.  I kind of feel a bit like Julie from the movie Julie and Julia writing about this challenge.  I don't have a role model or a book to go by so I am just going to wing it.  Who knows maybe a book and a movie will come out of it and I will be fabulously rich!!  Hmmm who shall I suggest to cast in the lead role?  I look more like Rosie O'Donnell or Kathy Bates and don't see Angelina or Penelope playing the role.  With Mister T as the love interest I just don't know if it would sell!  Funny to think about though.  It could provide the opportunity to be on Martha's show and I would tell her to please be more realistic with her ingredients.  Who actually has that stuff in the pantry?  Who actually has a budget to make some of her creations or the huge staff in the background to help her out.  Gosh, I could just stand there and read the cards behind the bowl and look as clever!  I bet she could not eat only from her pantry for a month! That would be a dream come true though to be asked to be on Martha and Oprah for being me....The Frugal Fraulein!

No comments: