Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday Afternoon



It is warm and beautiful today. I heard the dandelions calling so I got out the lawn mower. In my back yard the grass is mostly dead due to the drought we have been experiencing this spring and summer in the Pacific Northwest. No, it really does not rain here all the time! I pushed the mower around and kicked up a pretty good dust storm. Good thing the breeze was blowing away from the open windows.

About 5 years ago I decided to remove my front lawn. The former owner had contracted with a lawn chemical company to regularly spray the front and back lawns to make them picture perfect. Well, I thought that was the craziest idea, a huge waste of money, water, effort and poisonous to the water table. I wanted to reduce my footprint on earth and be frugal at the same time.

This is how it looks now, years later. In the next few installments I will explain the steps it took to create my dream yard.

No comments: