I am glued to CNN watching the fallout of the worst earthquake to ever shake Japan and it's Tsunami. The pictures are haunting and unbelievable. Each clip is worse than the next.
I had to take time and reflect on what if it were happening to me? What can I do to prepare? You might be one of those who says nothing you can do will prepare for such devastation while others of you say I am going to do all I can to educate myself and prepare my home and family. I am one of the latter obviously.
1. Know the fault lines in your area. There are fault lines all over the world especially all over the U.S. I know there are fault lines in my area of Washington and the coast is a possible tsunami area.
2. If you live in a tsunami area know your prescribed evacuation route and have a plan.
3. Have a family emergency plan. Where will you meet? Who is your contact person?
4. Can you live without electricity, running water and sanitation?
5. How long could you go without needing a grocery store?
6. What if there weren't any gas stations?
7. What if the banks were closed and the ATM machines did not work?
8. Have I earthquake proofed my home to the best of my ability?
Check some of my older posts on how to prepare for an earthquake.