Thursday, August 5, 2010

More Cabbage Capers

This week Kale, cucumbers, cauliflower, pea pods were delivered to be canned.  Remember I have no limitations on what I do with them.  Make them yummy were my instructions.
First there was a bag of green beans but they had already gone past their prime.  They had to go.
Next I looked at the pea pods.  They are crisp and snappy and full of peas.  I decided to can them whole and open the dried ones.  I canned them in the pressure canner for 25 minutes and they came out great.  There are now six quarts of canned pea pods.
Then I had to deal with the kale.  I did not have any experience with kale but was told it is yummy with kielbasa. I found this recipe.

Ingredients

  • 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 10 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 1/2 pounds kale - rinsed, dried and chopped
  • 1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces

Directions

  1. Place the potatoes into a large stockpot, over medium high heat. Add butter and water, and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until tender. Reserve liquid and mash potatoes in the pan until smooth. Return the potato water to the pot and stir in salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  2. Stir in the fresh kale and sausage and simmer till kale is softened.
I added two cans of chicken stock to make the brine taste more rich.  Canned it in quart jars for 90 minutes and voila something yummy.  I put some of the leftover stock on my Mr. T's dinner and he loved it.
I hear there are more cabbages coming so I had better get things going.  I have one more kale soup to make, then bread and butter pickles.  All that tomorrow.  I am not one to stay up all night canning alone.  If I had a friend and a bottle of wine things would/could be different.

No comments: