Thursday, February 18, 2010

Trip to Home Depot

Mom wanted to go to Home Depot today.  It is in the 50's, the buds are coming out and the bulbs are shooting up and getting ready to open. We went to look at railroad ties to see if they were doable to put around her patio as an edging.  The railroad ties were terrible looking and would not be suitable for a pretty garden area not to mention what they are soaked in.  I noticed some treated 6x6's that were 8 ft long.  Although they are treated they looked less toxic.  They will not be placed by anything edible so I think it is the best choice.

I tried to pick one up and with another person I think we could lug them to the patio area behind the house.  They were $3 more than the railroad ties but much better looking.  While I was talking with the very nice fellow from the lumber yard, I spied a pile of end pieces.  I asked what he was going to do with them and he said throw them away.  My eyes sparkled and before I knew it he was helping me load up a cart full of perfectly cut end pieces for my wood stove.  The pile filled the truck of Mom's car. I bet there is enough for five days worth of heat.

I am going back to see Sean tomorrow and pick up the lumber.I will bring him a piece of homemade bread pudding and hopefully he will remember me and my phone number next time there is a pile of end cuts!  He also offered to cut one of the pieces of wood with a chain saw so it will fit in a 3x5 space we want to edge. What a nice fellow and good employee.  Now I will always look for Sean to assist me.

2 comments:

Katidids said...

Wow, good customer service is hard to find anymore! I agree about the railroad ties, we have a large railway area around us and there are plenty of ties availiable but noticed in the area around the pile everything has died....after only about 3 months!

TinzleyCare said...

Hi, this is Tinzley with Home Depot Customer Care; I'm happy to hear you received such great service. Mind emailing with what store you visited, I'd like to make sure Sean is recognized for this. tinzley_care@homedepot.com