Thursday, February 11, 2010

Stored Hubbard Squash /




To my horror, some of my trellis grown Hubbard squash has begun to grow mold in the cold storage room.  I was so proud of my squash since they grew up about 7 to8 feet in the air against a trellis I built in my garden last summer.  They were very large and very heavy and still grew on the trellis.


At the end of the season I put them into a cold room in the garage to store for a delicious meal during the winter.  Every once in a while I have gone out there to see how they were doing and so far they had looked just fine.  I suppose I should not be alarmed as they have been out there for four months.


I brought them in and cut away those spots with discoloration.  Then I cut the squash in pieces with a large butcher knife.  The squishy part was taken out by scraping the insides with a large spoon (while I was watching Martha Stewart’s Wedding magazine’s 15th anniversary show).  The plump seeds were pulled out and I will wash them and dry them to use in this year’s garden.

I put the squash pieces on a large baking sheet, brushed them with some olive oil and baked them at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  I then scraped out the baked squash and will make a curried squash soup.

I am so thrilled that all the squash was not lost!  There are 5 more out there that will have to be cooked up this week.  Guess I will be fishing on the internet to find some interesting squash recipes.

2 comments:

Marblehead Forever said...

can you roast the seeds, like you do with pumpkin seeds. make a squash pie.

The Frugal Fraulein said...

yes you can roast any squash seeds just like pumpkin seeds and they taste similar. I am drying the seed for this years garden.
Mister T and I ate the squash last night and it was sweet and delicious! I have more to roast and will get to that yummy curried soup.