Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Frugal Pantry Challenge


My pantry spice racks

Challenges make me sit up and listen. eat-from-the-pantry-challenge-for-january is a great challenge.  The premis is to see how many meals you can create from the stores in your pantry and freezer without going to the store.  I am taking on the challenge beginning January 1rst.

I have a very abundant pantry.  Crazy actually.  My freezer is bursting and needs to be thinned out.  This is a great opportunity for me to test my food preparedness again and see what I have learned since the last time I participated in a test like this.



This quotation from the Bible was given in the article that is worthy of posting here. 

“Do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! ” – Luke 12:22-24

I can honestly say I have observed crows quite a bit in the past 6 years because they are frequent visitors to my yard and roof.  I know them to be great savengers because they bring things to my bird bath and little bitty water pool.  By things I mean bread, pizza crusts, corn cobs and other unidentifiable food items stolen from garbage cans.  They put the items in the water and let them get soggy then they eat them.  We have all seen crows eat road kill but I had never really thought about how they find food year round.  I guess crows are good runners for thinking about our own food preparedness.

I will continue to report in on what meals I come up with and what I learn.  The only thing I can think of that I will buy before I begin is a container of 1/2 and 1/2 for my coffee.  I do have creamora, evaporated milk and powdered milk in the pantry BUT I prefer 1/2 and 1/2.

Anyone brave enough to take on the challenge? I have a $200 budget for food which I will use once I have finished the challenge to restock and fill in the items that stand out as missing from my current storage plan.  I am excited.

If you are going to participate please leave a comment below and let's share stories!

No comments: