Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Update on Fall Canning Supplies

I had a phone message today from the vendor that provides canning supplies to Safeway. I will call her tomorrow. Wow good response from Safeway!

Went to the nearest WalMart and found the canning shelves almost empty. I talked with the manager and he assured me they would keep getting jars through September. While standing there writing down their prices a woman offered that she was also looking for jars. She said she was comparing prices and the WalMart in Shelton offered boxes $2 less a box. Hmmm what is that all about? Tomorrow Tim is going to Yelm to check their prices. I was unaware that stores in different towns would offer the same item at different prices.

Then we went to Cash and Carry the local restaurant supply store. Their canning jars were even more expensive. They do offer some items below the cost of WalMart like gallons of vinegar and bottled herbs and spices. I buy dried beans, grain, flour and sugar there ass well. Some of their dairy products like 1/2 and 1/2 and butter are the lowest in town.

I will continue on with my survey and will publish the findings by the end of the week. Please let me know if you visit a store and jot down some prices so we can compare. I am recording the price of 1/2 pint, pint, quart jars both regular and wide mouth, pectin, liquid pectin, no sugar pectin, lids and lids with rings. Hopefully the result will help us all find the best bargains.

Did you know Jardin Home Brands now manufactors both Ball and Kerr canning jars?

No comments: