Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fall Garden Soup



There were 5 large zucchini squash leftover from my garden and I still have cherry tomaotes ripening every day.  I pondered what to do with the garden leftovers and decided to make a veggie and hamburger soup. 

The zucchini, yellow squash, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley all came from my garden.  I added some corn, green beans, browned and drained hamburger, garlic powder, chili powder, seasoned salt, black pepper, tomato paste and beef bullion and filled my largest stock pot to the brim.  It simmered all day and filled the house with a fall like aroma.  Since I just threw in a bunch of this and that I am unable to post a complete recipe.  I usually cook by taste and fiddle with a dish till it tastes good.

We had soup and bisquits for dinner followed by some pear cobbler.  Tomorrow morning the leftover soup will be heated and pressure canned into pint jars perfect for lunches.  Soup will be pressure canned for 75 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.


Please go to University of Georgia Soup Safety to read up on canning soup before canning any homemade soup.  Remember not to use and thickeners, pasta, rice, noodles in soup as they will will interfere with the density of the soup.  These ingredients can also clog up your pressure cooker vents and you won't get accurate readings.  I tried canning turkey rice soup once before I read the USDA guidelines and I got a white thick mess that was not appetizing at all.  Had to learn the hard way I guess.

I am working on a list of great soup recipes that can be canned and it will be posted soon!

3 comments:

Jane said...

That soup looks so great. I can't wait to give something like that a try. Question why garlic powder? Can I use garlic? These are the things I'm unsure about.

Frugal Canner said...

Yes you can use fresh garlic. Use less seasoning than you would normally uses because the pressure canning process cooks the soup for a long time and intensifies the taste. I used too much fresh garlic in one batch of tomato sauce and it made it bitter.
I used the powder the other day because I cooked most of the seasoning along with the hamburger as I browned it to be sure the hamburger was tasty.
There was a lot of broth left over after filling the jars so I cooked up a batch of brown rice and am having it for lunch!

Perkins said...

The duration of nurse practitioner programs in Alabama is 24 months which includes 600-700 hours of clinical training. Long Sexy Love Nurse Gloves University of Pennsylvania.